"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Sunday, November 27

It gets harder every time...

This house is like a mausoleum now. So quiet and still and... empty. There's nothing like a houseful of kids, grandkids, friends and relatives to liven things up a bit.

Jim was busy loading the van, and Tammy was double-checking the house to make sure nothing got forgotten. After getting his things together, Christopher usually gets a little melancholy and teary-eyed and sticks close by my side until the very last minute. Michael wants to stay but knowing they have to go, just wants to get the long ride over with and claimed his spot in the van. Jacob, Tammy's nephew, helped load things and then not quite sure what else to do, just kind of waited 'til it was time to go. He's a nice young man, I'm glad he was able to come.


We had a great time - turkey dinner with all the fixings, card games, board games, video games, the new Harry Potter movie, a visit with Jim's boyhood pal and his lady, lots and lots of good eats, and great conversations.

So now all my 'babies' have left and this holiday weekend is over. I love that they come to visit but I so hate to let them go... it gets harder and harder each time to say good-bye. I love having my boy 'home', if only for a bit - I still miss him dearly. It's a real joy that he's given me such a beautiful family to love too. I wish we all - kid, grands, steps, in-laws and out-laws - the whole extended family - lived closer and could spend more time together.

It's probably good that we don't, but cock-eyed optimist that I am, I like to think the good times would far outweigh anything else.

So, Lew's upstairs reading the paper and I'm at the computer. The 'Skins will be on in awhile, and I'll patiently wait for the telephone call to let me know that they made it home safely - probably around 9ish tonight. I'll throw in a load or two of sheets or towels while I watch and wait and it will be back to business as usual.

I'd much rather have a houseful of noise...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home