"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Monday, August 6

Go figure...

I've lived in Maryland most of my adult life. Would you believe that in all that time, with all the flower gardening I've done, I've never... no, not ever... planted the state flower? How the heck did that happen?

So, this season I figured it was waaaay past time and I got me a Black-Eyed Susan from my friendly local nursery, which I promptly planted in my mailbox garden. Well, the silly thing has f-i-n-a-l-l-y bloomed... barely. I got me ONE whole flower from it.

My lonely little Black-Eyed Susan
(photos by Lew)
Hardly seems worth the effort, does it? Theoretically, it will get taller - a la daisies or coneflowers - with lots of happy yellow flowers smiling up at me. Maybe next season. Or maybe a location change... methinks it needs more sun. We shall see.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8/06/2007 11:55 AM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

Black-Eyed Susans grew wild all over the place where I grew up. Seriously, *fields* full of those happy yellow flowers. And my Gram places them in strategic areas of her flower gardens too. They are very big fans of sunshine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home