"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Wednesday, July 11

Words on Wednesday

Being an avid reader, I thought I had a pretty good vocabulary and a decent grasp of words in general. More and more in my reading adventures, I come across words I've never even heard of, let alone know what they mean. So, following Debi's example, my "what the heck does that mean" words for today are:

concupiscence: a strong desire, especially sexual desire; lust

murrey: a dark purplish-red color

prognathous: having jaws that project forward to a marked degree

I stumbled over these while reading From Doon With Death, a mystery by an English writer - which perhaps helps to explain my ignorance, the English being ... well, the English! ;)

Do you know these words?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7/12/2007 8:07 AM, Blogger Debi said...

Oh, how fun! I'm so glad you joined in! And now I have to admit that I didn't know a single one of your words. But that's okay...look how much my vocabulary just expanded, right? Hope you'll "play" every Wednesday!
And by the way, how's the book?

 
At 7/13/2007 8:41 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I don't know any of these... big pitiful sigh. You and Debi are making me feel really dumb :)

I'm reading a new book and have run across a couple of words I don't know, so I might have to do this next Wednesday :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home