"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Wednesday, August 15

Words on Wednesday...

Jeez, I can't believe it's been over a month since I did this the first time! Sorry, Debi - I'll try to play more often.

So, here I am, reading another English author... the final Harry Potter... and naturally I'm coming across some words I'm not familiar with. So, here are my "what the heck does that mean?" words for this week:

vol-au-vents: a large shell of light, flaky pastry for filling with vegetable, fish, or meat mixtures, usually with a sauce

snogging: (British Informal) to kiss and cuddle

prise: 1. prise - to move or force, especially in an effort to get something open
2. prise - make an uninvited or presumptuous inquiry
3. prise - regard highly; think much of
(this one threw me because it was used in different contexts, none of which meant what I thought!)

prat:
slang - the buttocks

basilisk:
a legendary serpent or dragon with lethal breath and glance.
(duh huh! what else would it be in an HP book?)

subsuming:
to consider or include (an idea, term, proposition, etc.) as part of a more comprehensive one

Another one I'd never seen but like the sound of is "squit" - I'm assuming it means something along the lines of another British slang word - eegit - but I can't find it anywhere.

How many of these did you know?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8/17/2007 9:39 PM, Blogger Heather said...

First of all I just read the book myself...awesome!
Snogging I knew somehow... not sure how, actually love the word.
Basilisk I knew from the previous HP books/movies!

 
At 8/19/2007 12:36 PM, Blogger Debi said...

Oooo...some very cool words! Only one I knew was basalisk (from HP, of course).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home