"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Sunday, September 4

Katrina...

I want to snatch those babies through the TV screen and fill up their tummies and let them play in the tub because they shouldn't be dirty and they shouldn't ever be hungry. I want to cuddle them and rock them to a sweet, safe sleep because they shouldn't ever have the fear that I can see in their eyes.

The last words on her lips before she was swept away were "take care of the kids." I want to comfort that agonizingly distraught man whose wife was torn from his grasp because he shouldn't have to suffer alone.

I want to turn back time and share my oxygen with the gentleman with lung cancer who died because he ran out. And he lay on the street, wrapped only in a sheet. Because he choked to death for lack of air. And to our immense shame, he shouldn't have.

I want to scream at the inhumanity,

I want to stop watching because the misery and suffering is just too much.

I want to do all of those things and more but of course, I won't. I can't save those people, and I won't scream because that's totally useless, and I really won't stop watching either because I need to know what's going on. But, I need to do something more than pray too.

So, we donated money to the Salvation Army, knowing that every little bit will help. For medical reasons, I'm unable to, but Lew gave blood at the Red Cross this morning and that will help. We assembled a boxful of health kits last night and shipped them off this morning too. They'll go to a church distribution center in the devastated area and that will help. We bought supplies and donated more money for gas expenses to a local church group with ties to churches in the stricken area. They'll leave on Tuesday to distribute supplies to the outlying areas that no one is talking about. That will help.

I feel a little better now having done something hands-on, something more tangible than writing a check and saying a prayer. I know that we're doing all that we can.

When then, will it start feeling like we've done and helped enough?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home