"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Monday, February 13

Happy Heart Day!!

Happy Valentine's Day!!

When I was a little girl, oh, so verrry many years ago, Valentine's Day was such a big deal in elementary school. The teacher would transform a ratty ol' cardboard box into the most be-yew-ti-ful Valentines Box there ever was! It would be covered with white paper and red hearts and lace and ribbons, and all kinds of pretties all over it. It sat on a chair or table in front of the classroom and everyone would put the valentines they made or bought into the slot on top. At some point on the big day, the box would be opened, the valentines sorted, and then distributed into our waiting, grubby little hands.


It was oh, so exciting, but oh, the pain!!! The agony of waiting to see who liked you or if you had a secret admirer, or even if you got any valentines at all! Then counting how many you did get and comparing notes with all the other kids. It was truly awful, in a bittersweet kind of way.

I wonder if they still do Valentines Boxes?? I hope so - it was fun, agony and all.

2 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 9:49 PM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

LOL! you just made me think of CHarlie Brown.

 
At 2/14/2006 12:21 AM, Blogger Rose DesRochers said...

They stop that around grade four. LOL I recall those days. My son's school has candy grams that you can have delivered to that special someone for a quarter. I told my son to choose someone in his class that wasn't as popular and send them one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home