"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Thursday, September 9

Yet more doings....

Along with all the family fun this summer, we still had other pressing needs to attend to.

First, was my prized (to me, anyway) pink dogwood, which was definitely in dire straits. Initially
we thought the dead branches we were seeing this past spring were due to the extreme winter we had. On the advice of our tree trimmer, we tried a few things but nothing seemed to help. Finally, we called on the services of a regular tree doctor type, and turns out my poor tree is pretty ill. Seems it's suffering from root rot, probably caused by too much water from our sprinkler system. That accounts for the dead and dying branches. It's also under attack from borers, which can happen when a tree is stressed, and it also has a case of powdery mildew, caused by weather conditions. My tree is a mess!

So, presently it's on a three month treatment plan for all of the above. While the tree doc gave a somewhat positive prognosis
, I'm not too convinced as I continue to see more branches dying back. I'm thinking it's probably pretty iffy... but, we shall see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

dead branches don't belong on an otherwise blooming tree

borers are munching on my poor little tree


Then, there was the driveway. Over the years, it was becoming harder and harder to maintain, in spite of regular and periodic applications of sealants, etc. I guess thirty-some years is a pretty good lifetime for a driveway. There were no major breaks, but the cracks were becoming a concern, so it it was time.

The contractor determined that the base foundation was good, so we only had to have it resurfaced.


the equipment arrives

lots of workers getting 'er done!

nice job!!

I think I'm all caught up now on my away time happenings... back to my regular mundane babbling!


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9/09/2010 3:56 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Poor tree, it's getting attacked from all angles, huh? I hope the tree doc is right and it gets better, I hate to lose a tree at all, especially one that blooms so beautifully :(

We have so many things to do around our house, but we never seem to get started. Procrastination is apparently our first and last name! :)

 
At 9/09/2010 9:21 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

I look forward to your "mundane babbling" (your quote not mine!) I hope the tree doc is right, would be a shame to lose the dogwood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home