"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Monday, February 5

It's time...

...for a new purse. It's definitely time. The one I'm hauling around is, at the very minimum, at least 15 years old. Probably more like 18, but the farthest back I can clearly recall is when my #1 grandson was still in his mama's tummy. She had one very similar and we kept getting them mixed up.

Funny thing is, other than being older than dirt and having a few minor wear spots on the exterior, there's really nothing wrong with it. The zippers still work, the inside lining/pockets aren't torn, and the strap is still attached. It doesn't even smell like smoke or have bits and pieces of tobacco living in the corners. I've got more wear and tear on me! And trust me when I tell you - I didn't spend big bucks on this thing either. Probably picked it up at JCPenney or Bon Ton or one of those places, but we're not talking Coach or Prada or Louis Vuitton here. How did I ever luck out and manage to find such a durable product?

There used to be a time, back in the day, when I was possessed of a bit more class and a lot more style. I changed purses like I changed underwear. Well, maybe not that frequently, but you know what I mean. My purses matched or coordinated with what I wore. Now, I haven't changed it in years and my trusty ol' black purse follows me everywhere, regardless of what I wear. Yep, it's more than served its purpose.

So, despite being familiar and comfortable with it for lo, these many years, it's waaay past time to suck it up, go shopping, and get myself a new one... maybe two. Frugalness is one thing, but this is ridiculous. Besides that, I'm really sick to death of looking at it... wanna peek?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2/05/2007 6:27 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I am like you. I use the same purse over and over again, year after year until it wears out. About a year and a half ago I inherited a coach purse (leather) and it's all I've used. I am guessing it will have a long life. You are a girl after my own heart :)

take care,
Dawn

 
At 2/05/2007 10:49 PM, Blogger *krystyn* said...

I'm following in your footsteps. I am currently using a Fossil purse that is 3.5 yrs old (approx). I love it. It works perfectly for me!

I recently decided though that I wanted to change it. The only thing wrong with it is that it has a little strap that goes across the top to snap it closed and the leather has torn on the bending part of that strap. No big deal.

After months of contemplating getting a new purse (another Fossil-they are my favorite) I finally broke down and got it about 3 wks ago. I have struggled to get used to it and tonight finally gave up...thankfully I was able to return it (and the matching wallet).

I'm back to the old purse...but it's much more functional for me.

Good luck in your purse search!

 
At 2/06/2007 3:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a purse for 15 years, you are kidding right! How come it is still in one piece. Get to the store quick! My purses only last me about 3 years before they start to fall apart and I don't spend a fortune on them. I like to change them about that time also. So it works for me. Hopefully you will find just the thing and you will love it.

 
At 2/06/2007 7:08 AM, Blogger Debi said...

You sound just like me. Or maybe I'm even worse. I drive my husband crazy, because I use things until they are literally falling apart. Rich is always bugging me to buy new shoes or coats or whatever. He's afraid if people see me "making do", that they'll think he's a scrouge and won't "allow" me to buy new things (which of course is simply ridiculous).
Be sure to post a picture when you make your purchase!

 
At 2/06/2007 8:58 AM, Blogger Vintage Papers said...

I don't like to change my purse.
I love the little cheapo one I bought a Target a few years back - and I need a new one - but I hate changing...want to see your new one when you get it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home