"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Friday, April 13

Less is more??

How did we get to this point? Ounce by ounce and dollar by dollar, the American consumer is getting soooo screwed! Somewhere along the line, some money-grubbing someone decided that a good way to increase their revenue would be to decrease the amount they sell and charge more for it. Brilliant! I guess they also decided that the consuming public would never notice because we were too busy consuming. Well, I've noticed and I'm pissed and I'm 'bout ready to take my business elsewhere! (I don't know where, but it feels good to say it!)

I've been eating these things for as long as I can remember and slowly but surely the amount in the bag has been going down, down, down. Just this past month they've gone from 14 oz bags to 13 oz bags but they still cost $3.69 a bag. Somehow I'm supposed to feel good about it though because I can get them as a twofer??? Bull poop!!

I can remember when they used to come in a 16 oz bag. Yeah, 16 whole ounces - a whole bloody pound of them! Not any more. With the possible exception of meat, you can't buy a pound of anything nowadays. Coffee, canned goods, packaged goods - everything has decreased. The "new" pound is 13 oz - sometimes even 12.5 oz. It's insulting! And the worst part of all this?? We're paying more for the privilege of being so royally insulted!

I'm gonna grow an apple tree!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4/14/2007 9:57 AM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I totally agree Marianne! They think people don't notice them downsizing the product and upsizing the price. Not to mention, with the cost of gasoline (to fuel the transportation of products) and the rising cost of corn/ethanol/feed (to feed the cows, chickens, etc), most everything is going up.

What really gets me is that I have at least a handful of recipes that I have been making for years. One will call for a 16 oz bag of something, like you said, but you can't find it anymore. Then, another will say add one 8 oz container of plain yogurt, but now they put yogurt in 6 oz containers. Stuff like that really burns me up too. Now, they're messing with my cooking and recipes, LOL!

Great post! Now, go eat some Cheetos and feel better :)

P.S. I've started buying all of my potato chips at Sam's Club. They are a lot cheaper there. I can put two bags in a larger cellophane bag and pay 4.88 for the bag, so 2.44 per bag of chips. Compared to the 3.49 or 3.69 in the grocery, that seems like a big savings to me :)

 
At 4/15/2007 11:16 PM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

they are doing it with 1/2 gallons of ice cream too. drives me crazy.

 
At 4/17/2007 1:05 AM, Blogger *krystyn* said...

this happened to me too---my hairspray..smaller bottle, same price. Not good!

 
At 4/21/2007 6:01 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I agree with you 100%!!!!!!!!

take care,
Dawn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home