"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Thursday, June 7

Stay safe, my son...

He's 43 years old. You'd think by now, the mommy worry would have, if not disappeared, at least settled down to a dull roar, yes? Uh uh, not with my kid.

My son is a wheel freak. From the time he was mobile, he was into wheels - tricycles, bicycles, roller skates, skate boards, cars, and ultimately, motorcycles. He wasn't content to just tool around on motorcycles and outgrow the fascination, oh no. He had to race the damn things!

Now those of you who know me are probably saying, what the heck is she talking about? SHE used to ride motorcycles! Yeah, yeah, yeah, and it was an awful lot of fun, but I didn't race 'em and almost every time I climbed on the back of one of those things, I questioned my own sanity and sense of responsibility as a mother! (heh, heh, heh - how's that for justification?) But I digress, and we're not talking about me. It's most decidedly a case of don't do as I do, do as I say. ;)

So anyway, at least he raced them on a track and when not racing, just used his cycle as cheap transportation back and forth to work and running errands, etc. At the time, he was a new daddy and I pulled the mommy card with the admonition of have fun, my darling, but remember you're a father and have responsibilities now, yada, yada, yada.

Okay, so time went on, life happened, and three kids later, the bike needed more repair and $$$ than he was willing to put into it and has been retired and parked in his garage for quite a few years. In the meantime, a van has come in right handy as the more practical (and safer) mode of travel to cart the whole family around in.

Well, I guess some sleeping dogs never stay lying completely, and the wheel thing has returned with a vengeance. Not only has he gone out and bought himself a brandsy new Kawasaki Ninja 1400 bike, he got a Ninja 250 for my daughter-in-law too!! Oh my heart and soul! Now I gotta worry about both of them! And #1 grandson is standing in line for his too! *sigh*

"Have fun, my darlings, but remember you have children who need you, yada, yada, yada..." which was promptly met with a "Mom, you already told me that once!" Yes, well I'm telling you again, it's a mother's prerogative!! ;)

Stay safe, my son - my children... and don't forget to come up and take Mom for a ride too!! :D

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6/07/2007 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee Heee Heee......Some things never change. It has taken him at least 16 years to get another one. The desire for a Ninja started at a 750 I believe and now has reached a 1400.
Very patient man. I'm sure that his little girl thinks it's cool.

 
At 6/08/2007 3:46 PM, Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

My boy just graduated HS, and I cannot stop thinking of him as younger than he is. Looks like I'll always be doing that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home