"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Friday, May 23

Reading Report -

(These are my 3rd and 4th reading challenge reports)


#6. A book with a plant in its title
A Rose for Her Grave - Ann Rule


Book Description: (From Publishers Weekly) The centerpiece of this chilling collection is the history of Randy Roth, a "modern-day Bluebeard" who specialized in marrying women and then killing them for insurance and Social Security benefits. Rule traces Roth's crimes thoroughly and does an equally complete job of providing information on the investigative side of the story, such as the difficulties of being a female prosecutor. The remaining shorter cases come from Rule's "archives".


No one writes true-crime like Ann Rule, and this first volume of her Crime Files series is no exception. A former policewoman, she writes with meticulous attention to detail and a unique perspective into the investigative aspect of each case.

Without going into great detail and revealing anything, I have to say that I'm astounded that the "system" failed for so long and allowed this Roth creature to get away with all that he did - to the women in his life, to the friends in his life, and even to his own son -
for as long as he did. A life behind bars is the ultimate irony for this pathological narcissist.

Sometimes the story can get bogged down in the details, but Ms. Rule's talent for engrossing storytelling more than compensates as she narrates the sordidness of a crime. She writes with compassion for the victims and an insightful understanding of the twisted monsters doing the deed.

If you're an aficionado of true crime stories, this one will keep you turning the pages and won't disappoint.



#5.
A book with a weather event in its title.
Eye of the Storm - James A. Forrest

Book Description: (from Amazon) "In, EYE OF THE STORM, James A. Forrest proves he has a passion for Florida, and an understanding of this crazy state's quirks. This is a writer to watch." Randy Wayne White
Charter Captain Jack Foster tries to live a simple life and leave his past as a cold case investigator behind him, but when he finds the body of his friend Capt. Tom in the mangroves it's not that easy. When Capt. Tom's killers learn of Jack's interest in the investigation they decide to take care of him and his daughter, Katelyn, before they are discovered. While defending against attack, trying to figure out clues, and protecting his daughter, massive Hurricane Lynn churns in the Gulf of Mexico and is bearing down on them. Out numbered and out gunned, will Jack be able to solve the murder and evade the wrath of Mother Nature or are his and Katelyn's fates sealed like Capt. Tom's?

*sigh* Where do I begin? At the beginning, I guess. After skimming through positive reviews of this debut novel, I was all prepared to enjoy a new author in my favorite genre. Boy, was I disappointed!

In the first twenty or so pages, blatant, basic editing errors had me shaking my head in astonishment. For example, when used in the context of shaking, trembling, etc., the word on the page (at least twice) was "shutter" instead of "shudder"; in referring to an architectural style, the word on the page was "tutor" instead of "Tudor." Either due to additional poor editing or maybe only his mode, I just couldn't keep up with or get into the disjointed and scattered writing style of Mr. Forrest.

I also found the "action" to be a bit unbelievable and somewhat far fetched and ultimately found myself wondering if I was reading the same book the reviewers had read. Rarely, hardly ever, and almost never do I fail to complete a book once I've started reading, always going just a little bit further to get to something and giving a book the benefit of the doubt. This one, however, I had to put down after about 100 pages.

While he may indeed have an all encompassing knowledge of the characteristics of the state of Florida and turned out an action-packed thriller, I didn't read enough to find out. Maybe I was just having a bad week, I dunno; I may yet give it another try. More than likely, though, it will be donated, in excellent condition, to our local senior citizen's home.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5/23/2008 6:02 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

You're doing great with the challenge, Marianne! I need to get back on my books and work through the rest on my list :)

I CANNOT believe that in this day and time, that editing mistakes such as you describe (shutter and tutor) would come through in the final printing of a novel. That would drive me absolutely nuts!

Have a great day and Happy Reading!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home