"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Wednesday, September 16

Ears and ears...

Last week a friend gave us some corn that she got from a farmer near where she lives. We had some for dinner that night and the next, and oh. my. goodness!!! It was truly the best corn I've ever had!! Sooo tender and sooo sweet... I was almost gnawing on the cob!

Wanting more of this deliciousness to add to our freezer stock, we were going to drive up her way to pick up a couple of dozen more ears, but she surprised us by showing up yesterday with 5 dozen ... count 'em, f-i-v-e dozen!!... ears!! Needless to say, we've got corn coming out of ours, so we've been busy in the kitchen.

Started with sweet, succulent ears

Slices of yum

Scraping the creamy goodness

The fruits of our labor

Compost bound

This batch gave us 13 bags, 2 servings each. Today we did another 9 bags, with another dozen and a half ears yet to go. I think we'll have plenty of fresh creamy corn this winter!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9/16/2009 8:30 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

That all looks so good! Lots of work, but you're right - you'll be reaping the benefits for months to come :)

 
At 9/17/2009 1:27 PM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

I always make the world's biggest mess when I cut corn off the cob. =P So...since I know squat about freezing. Do you just pop it in baggies & into the freezer straight from the cob? Do you have to cook it or blanch it first? (Why oh why didn't I know enough to pick my Gram's brain about these important little details when I had the chance??)

 
At 9/17/2009 9:54 PM, Blogger marianne said...

Dawn - lol, you're not the only one... cutting corn off the cob IS messy! Freezing is easy tho and yes, you do blanch it first. I did mine for 6-10 mins depending on the size of the ears, cool in ice water the same length of time, then cut and scrap the cream and kernel hearts off the cob.

Put in Ziploc bags, containers, or vacuum seal and you've got cream corn! Email me for more details if you want. :)

HI Stacy!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home