"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Friday, September 10

Fruits of the season...

Well, it's just about over now, but oh my goodness, have I come to really enjoy peach season! Around our parts it runs from about July thru August, and maybe a week or so into September... and that can mean a lot of peaches.

Used to be the only way I'd eat them was out of the can because I just couldn't tolerate that icky, fuzzy skin. Now, I think I might be becoming a bit of a peach snob because I can't remember the last time I ate a canned peach! I still don't eat the skin, but we enjoy fresh peaches pretty much year 'round. We get them from local growers, then peel, slice, and prepare them for freezing. It's ever so nice to be able to grab a bag of peaches for dessert in the middle of January!

I was a bit disappointed in this season's crop - they just weren't as sweet and juicy as in previous seasons - but still managed to put away a good supply in the freezer, bake a couple of yummy peach cobblers...

good stuff!

...and even try a new freezer jam recipe. Oh, yes, we have a winner! Delicious on my toasted biscuits and English muffins!



Next up... apple season!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9/10/2010 4:05 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Oh wow, that cobbler looks delicious! I'm just like you used to be - I only eat canned peaches. I do buy frozen ones occasionally, but they are not as good. I rarely if ever buy fresh ones, don't like fuzzy, have trouble picking them out, etc. They're either too mushy or too ripe. And I have never tried canning or cooking with fresh ones, I stand in awe :)

 
At 9/10/2010 7:11 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

I've had the worst time with peaches this year, I like soft, juicy and sweet. The only ones I can find are hard as rocks! I guess I'll have to resort to canned. Your cobbler looks soooo good!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home