"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Saturday, September 17

One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingies...

The subject of answering the telephone came up on 2Peas today and prompted this little tidbit.

In my previous working life, I was a secretary/administrative type and spent a good bit of the day answering, screening calls, and talking on the telephone. When I got home in the evening, the very last thing I wanted to do was respond to another annoying, ringing bell.


I had no problem at all letting the thing ring unanswered while I went about the business of cooking dinner, spending time with my kid, watching TV, or just relaxing. My teenage son, on the other hand just couldn't understand how I could let the phone ring.

Me: "I'm not home", as he dashed to answer the first brrrring of the bell.

He: "What if it's important, Mom?"


Me: "If it's important, they'll call back."

See, I figure that I have a telephone for my convenience, not for the convenience of the rest of the world. He, on the other hand, thought it extremely rude that I wouldn't let someone interrupt my time. It was a bone of contention during his teen years and got to the point of:

He: "well, I'm not going to lie for you", as he went to answer the damn thing.

Me: "Fine, I don't want you to lie, then don't answer it."


He: "But what if it's for me?", he wailed.

Me: "Your choice, honey, but I'm not available."


And 'round and 'round we went.

The invention of the answering machine was a good thing.

(oh, and guess who lets the machine get incoming calls at his house now?) :-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home