"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Thursday, March 2

Door - Ways

As I've mentioned before, I live behind a dairy farm so have never been overly concerned with privacy on that side of the house. I mean, who was gonna be peeking in my back windows? A bunch of dewy-eyed cows?

In recent years though, I've become more concerned with peekers of the two-legged variety. Even out here in the countryside, we are occasionally over-run by the local constabulary chasing after some delinquent or other transgressor of the law. A favorite short cut for these runners is the farmer's fields behind our house. I guess they're trying to make it to a hidey-hole stand of trees down by the creek. A few months ago, we had someone break into our storage shed, just to prove they could. So, times have changed, and nowadays one never quite knows what other eyes may be lurking out there in the darkness.


So we have this patio door; not the sliding type, the Atrium type. Used to be covered with a draw drape on a rod that would fall out of the wall on a regular basis from being opened and closed all the time. Now it has vertical blinds on it that the cats keep knocking the slats out of - pretty much useless in terms of privacy when they're laying on the floor. In short, this door has been a real pain in the arse to keep covered.

Last week we put up French door curtains. They attach directly to each door. Not really my style, I prefer a more contemporary look, but I'm getting desperate and mega weary of picking door coverings up off of the floor.

I already know they're not going to work - not without a shade or something else underneath. Even with two full panels shirred real close on each rod, not private enough. Ah well, maybe I can talk the man into some new doors - the kind with the blinds inside the glass. Then I wouldn't have to deal with this crap.

2 Comments:

At 3/02/2006 9:13 PM, Blogger sue @ postcards from paradise falls said...

i love doors... isn't that a weird thing to like? lol... my neighbor has this beautiful wooden door on the house and it just looks so, i dunno, elegant.

 
At 3/08/2006 4:59 PM, Blogger marianne said...

Sue - not weird at all - the workmanship on some is so much like art, you know?

Kajira - Yes, in between the two pieces of glass - isn't that cool! No dusting slats, no accidents with kids and cords. You pay for the privilege though - they are pricey!

The house is over 30 years old - it's needing some major upgrading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home