"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Thursday, April 20

Wheeee, I got me a brandsy new one!

It's called an oxygen concentrator and is the machine that keeps me going on a daily basis. What it does is convert and concentrate the available oxygen in the air, and feeds it into my body through a nasal cannula attached to a 50 foot cord that I drag around with me throughout the house. That's a bit of an over-simplification, it's a little more complicated, but you get the general idea.

Now, trust me when I tell you, except for that necessary breathing stuff, it's nothing to get real excited about, okay? In actuality, it's a real pain in the arse. Not only because I'm attached to it with that cord, which limits how far I can go without changing where it's located, but also because of the noise it emits. It runs 24/7, and every minute or so lets out a puff of air with a whooosh sound attached to it. The more hours it runs and the older it gets, the louder it becomes, just as a general fact of machinery operating non-stop over a period of time.

In the normal course of my day, I don't hear it too much. It lives in an empty bedroom (when we don't have company, otherwise in the garage or laundry room) upstairs, and I spend a good bit of my time downstairs in the family room with the TV, computer, my scrapping stuff, the fireplace, laundry room, etc. Nightimes, however, are a different story.

The bedroom it lives in is directly across from our bedroom. Hence, I can hear the thing merrily huffing and puffing away while it does its job. That, combined with Lew's snoring, and I have super Dolby stereophonic surround sound... and the overwhelming urge to kill! Luckily, the concentrator noise is dramatically muffled by closing the extra bedroom door. Would that it were that simple to muffle Lew!

So now, after bending your ear... or in this case, straining your eyes...with this mega-long tale, I'll get to the whole point of this entry. My oxygen guy delivered a brand new machine today. The old one was due for maintenance and he rolled it right on out the door. The new one only has 3 hours of testing time on it. It almost purrs like a kitten! Even the "gasp" doesn't sound as loud. Oh joy, peace and quiet! Or quieter, anyway.

7 Comments:

At 4/20/2006 4:57 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I'm glad you got a quieter machine!! About 25 years ago I lived in a 4plex (4 apartments) and I could hear everything, cupboard doors, radios, talking etc. I started sleeping with a fan on to drown out the noise! I still sleep with a fan on!

I hope you enjoy your peaceful quiet sound.

take care,
Dawn

 
At 4/20/2006 8:16 PM, Blogger ConnieG said...

My hubby kept me awake for the last several years even to the point of me sleeping in the guest room, this past December he went to a sleep doctor and got a wonderful machine that has either a little mask that fits over his nose or you can get the nasal cannula, it is wonderful no more snoring and he says he is sleeping better. I remember my grandfather about 50 years ago shaking the rafters with his snoring, I love all these modern "marvels" we have available to us now.

Enjoy your blog, forget how I found it, but I enjoy it.
Connie

 
At 4/20/2006 8:22 PM, Blogger Debi said...

Sounds like a replacement was long overdue, huh? Glad things are quieter for you!
Now, if you ever figure out a cure for the hubby's snoring (short of replacing him!), be sure to share...I think there's plenty of us out here with that particular problem.

 
At 4/20/2006 10:00 PM, Blogger marianne said...

Dawn, I used to fall asleep with the radio on - I couldn't do it now if my life depended on it!

Connie, sounds like your guy has a CPap machine - glad you're both getting that much needed sleep!

Debi, wish I had better news for you, but even after TWO corrective surgeries, Lew still snores... it's hopeless!

Thanks for commenting, ladies. :)

 
At 4/21/2006 9:40 AM, Blogger Tina said...

I hope you get tons of good sleep courtesy of your new friend!

 
At 4/21/2006 11:49 AM, Blogger Cherry Moon said...

So does it kind of sound like whenever a bus stops, that *peeeshoooo* sound?

That so rocks. ;)

 
At 4/21/2006 12:43 PM, Blogger marianne said...

LOL! Exactly, Cherry - just not quite that loud! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home