"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Tuesday, December 12

A Christmas meme...


This has apparently already made the rounds in the blog world, but not surprisingly, slipped by under my radar. Here's my two cents now - late, not never...


1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

Egg nog - spiked with a little rum and a sprinkle of nutmeg - there's just no other way.


2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Presents have to be wrapped! C'mon - at least a big red bow - even for those oversized presents!


3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

I like them colored on the tree, though all white is nice for specific themes. Other than spots, I don't do lights on the house - just not my thing.


4. Do you hang mistletoe?

I used to but you can't even find it anymore - not even the fake stuff. Seems to be a passe tradition now, but the kissing thing was kinda fun back in the day.


5. When do you put up your decorations?
I like to start right after Thanksgiving, especially the outdoor decorations. Don't always succeed but that's my goal. The tree can wait a bit.


6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

oooo, that's hard, I love it all! I guess the turkey or the honey-glazed, spiral-cut ham.


7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:

Oh, just the excitement of it all and the anticipation of Christmas day! The Christmas music, watching my mom wrap presents, having a bare naked tree magically turn into glowing lights and sparkling glass and glitter - all of it.


8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I think it was the time when hearing noises, I snuck into the living room unseen by my mother, hid behind a chair, and watched while she decorated the tree and put the presents underneath. Before that, we always thought Santa decorated it! Her letting me watch while she wrapped my sister's presents and my sister watch while she wrapped mine (and then we'd compare notes afterwards!) probably contributed greatly to bringing about the demise of the jolly ol' fat dude's existence in my mind.


9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Nooooooo!
You open presents on Christmas day, AFTER Santa brings them, silly!


10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?

With loving care. :) Okay, okay - I jest. We've accumulated a plethora of varied ornaments, etc. over the years, but I still try to maintain a sugar-plum fairy look with lots of toys, candies, sugary-looking sweet stuff, fluffy garland and lots and lots of lights.


11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?

I love looking at it from the cozy warmth of inside - I'm not too crazy about being out in it, especially if I have to drive... unless I'm building a snowman with the grands.


12. Can you ice skate?

Barely back then - now, not even!


13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

I've had lots of favorites but a few stick out in my memory - a charm bracelet my son's father started for me; a mommy and baby mushroom necklace from my son; beautiful kaleidoscopes from my hubby; a #1 Grandma charm from my grandbabies - lots of favorites that warmed my heart.


14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?

being with the ones you love and celebrating the love and joy of the season.


15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

well, it used to be my mom's Heavenly Hash, but has evolved into a modern-day version, Watergate Salad, aka "that green stuff." I've also gotten hooked on Paula Deen's Oooey Gooey Pumpkin cake - so good!


16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

still, after all these years, pulling out the tree decorations, and oooing and aaaing over the favorites. We have a unique, fluffy garland that needs to be "wound up" (or twisted) to achieve the full effect and it's always fun to take turns doing the twisting; then, after everything is done, sitting back, relaxing with a cup of nog, and enjoying the beauty and glow of Christmas Eve.


17. What tops your tree?

an angel


18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving presents?

I have to say both. I love giving and watching the reaction to a gift I've chosen, but I'm still like a little kid on the receiving end too - in the words of Martha - it's a good thing.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?

O'Holy Night and Little Drummmer Boy - they give me goose bumps!


20. Candy Canes Yuck or Yum?

oh, definitely yummy! who doesn't like candy canes?

1 Comments:

At 12/13/2006 12:37 PM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

i want to see a photo of your tree! it sounds beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home