"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Thursday, August 23

Movies... and more movies...

So, while the guy was installing our floor earlier this week, I couldn't get to my computer downstairs and had to find other ways to entertain myself upstairs. Not feeling terribly domestic, I totally vegged out and watched six... count 'em, 6!... movies in two days.





The Holiday: a cute, light-hearted chick flick about two single gals with guy troubles switching homes in England/L.A.

Flags of our Fathers and Letters to Iwo Jima: a couple of docu-dramas - Flags telling the actual story behind the symbolic Iwo Jima flag-raising and Letters, the battle and events seen from the Japanese perspective. Well done by Clint Eastwood.

Premonition: a sci-fi/suspense/romance/tragedy drama (phew!) Solid performance by Sandra Bullock and if you can keep up with the skipping around time-line, an overall good movie about a housewife dreaming of her husband's death... or not.

The Queen: The difficult journey of staid Queen Elizabeth and liberal Tony Blair
in an effort to do the right thing following the death of Princess Diana. Fantastic performance by Helen Mirren.

Blood Diamond: A compelling action/adventure film that makes one think twice about the diamonds we wear.
~ ~ ~
I'm totally movied out for now but I just might do that more often - it was fun!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8/24/2007 9:41 AM, Blogger Southern Girl said...

The Queen is the only one of those six I've seen, but I loved it -- I'm a huge fan of Helen Mirren. She rocks! ;)

 
At 8/24/2007 10:54 AM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Oh yeah, you had a cool movie marathon! Glad you got to watch a bunch of good movies. I won a free Netflix subscription and we've really been busy renting movies this summer. I've seen 4 of those (have not seen Iwo Jima or Blood Diamond). We liked them all too. And if you and Lew like war movies and enjoyed those 2 from Eastwood, I'd also suggest you rent "The Great Raid". Also a WWII movie about a real battle and we actually enjoyed it better than Flags. I thought Helen Mirren was incredible in the Queen!!!

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend :)

 
At 8/25/2007 2:11 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Only saw The Holiday out of your 6. Totally loved it!

 
At 8/27/2007 10:40 AM, Blogger Debi said...

Can't remember the last time I watched a movie. A couple of those I'd really like to see though. Glad you can get to your computer now!

 
At 9/03/2007 8:10 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Oh, vegging out over movies is a fun thing to do every now and then :) The only one I've seen on your list is Premonition.

take care,
Dawn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home