"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Monday, January 21

Reading Report -

(This is my first reading challenge report)

#3. A book with a first name in its title.
Mary, Mary - James Patterson


Book Description: (from Amazon)
FBI agent Alex Cross is on vacation with his family at Disneyland when he gets a call from the Director. A well-known actress was shot outside her home in Beverly Hills. Shortly afterward, an editor for the Los Angeles Times receives an e-mail describing the murder in vivid detail. Alex quickly learns that this is not an isolated incident. The killer, known as Mary Smith, has done this before and plans to kill again. Right from the beginning, this case is like nothing Alex has ever confronted. Is this the plan of an obsessed fan or a spurned actor, or is it part of something much more frightening? And particularly baffling, how could a woman be capable of these vicious crimes?...

I'm a big mystery/thriller fan, and Patterson is one of my favorite authors of the genre. I'm especially fond of his customary short chapters that allow for start/stop reading without losing the flow of the storyline or having to backtrack.

In typical Patterson form, I knew who the killer wasn't early on but trying to figure out who it was kept me turning pages well into the night. For the most part, this was a gripping thriller of murder and madness, full of exciting twists and turns and an "I didn't see that coming" surprise ending. That being said, there were holes in the plot that left me saying "huh?" and wondering if I had missed something. I was also disappointed in the abrupt ending that left me hanging with unresolved questions/issues.

All in all, though, it was an entertaining and enjoyable read and I'm looking forward to the next one in the series, Cross, which is waiting on my shelf.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1/21/2008 8:52 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Yeah, Marianne! Good for you :)

I'm working on my first book for this challenge also, but having trouble with the book I chose (it's one for the color). I hope it picks up soon!

I read my first Patterson book last year and found that I liked his writing style. Love those short chapters! I am a goal oriented reader, not wanting to stop mid-page or even mid-chapter unless I absolutely cannot keep my eyes open. I love his for that very reason! I also liked the plot and twists. I haven't read any in the Cross series, but one or two stand alone ones and the 1st in the women's murder club. I look forward to reading more of his this year.

Great review, and Happy Reading on the other books in the challenge!

 
At 1/23/2008 6:45 AM, Blogger Debi said...

Great review, Marianne! I enjoyed this one as well, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I love, love, love the Cross series, but I've kind of been feeling like it's starting to go downhill at this point. The last few just haven't been on par with the earlier ones. I have Double Cross sitting here waiting to be read, and I'm really hoping it will live up to those of the past.

And I definitely know what you mean about those short chapters...I love them. I know that's why I can whip through one of his books so much faster than others...it's just so easy to tell yourself "just one more chapter" which of course leads to "one more chapter" then "one more chapter"...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home