"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Tuesday, June 24

Time marches on...

You know you're getting old when a familiar product, one that's been on the market for nearly 60 years, and one that you've been using forever, sloooowly starts disappearing from your retail shelves. When you find yourself scouring the Internet trying to find what you want, you know it's only a matter of time before another of your favorites goes the way of the dinosaur... total extinction.

I don't know if it's a consequence of geographic location or demographics or what, but it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to find Evyan's White Shoulders scent a.n.y.w.h.e.r.e in Frederick County!! I used to be able to pick it up at almost any of our local department stores, but the last place I found it was
on a visit south, at one of those discount stops off the highway in North Carolina. Now, I know I live in farm country, but surely - surely even farm folks like to smell something other than cow manure!


Anyway, occasionally I wear it, but for the most part, I like to spray it on the pillows when the beds get made or changed. It's one of those special little indulgences I allow myself because I love sinking into the soft aroma as I drift off to sleep. Guests tell me it's a nice welcoming touch and my grands think it smells like mommaw's house. :) In recent years, I've also switched almost exclusively to White Shoulders bath/dusting powder, because ironicially, (a) it was easier to find than my primary powder of Tova or L'air Du Temps, which for some reason have become more of a Christmas special-packaging deal, and (b) it was a heck of a lot cheaper. Hah! It's still cheaper, but so much for easier! And, cheaper won't matter when it disappears altogether!
So, here I am, bemoaning what appears to be inevitable change, and resorting to the Internet to fill my smell good needs cuz I'm diddly-damned if I'm going to drive all over the east coast looking for the stuff.

You also know you're getting old when the highlight of your day is receiving a couple of boxes of bath powder in the mail!! ;) (scroll down and check out the post beneath this one.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home