"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Thursday, June 19

Where's my dictionary?

I don't think she's still doing it, she's one busy lady, but last year Debi had a feature on her blog ... Words on Wednesday... where participants shared unfamiliar or obscure words we came across in our reading adventures.

I usually forgot to play, but the few times I did, it was fun. Anyway, not trying to steal her idea, but I came across one this week that I have to put out there. I'm reading Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer and this one totally
threw me:

contumacious:
stubbornly perverse or rebellious; willfully and obstinately disobedient.

- contrary, pigheaded, factious, refractory, headstrong, intractable.

Well sure - now it makes sense, but at the time I felt dumb as a rock! Please tell me y'all never heard of it either, k?? ;)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6/19/2008 10:36 PM, Blogger Heather said...

i have never heard the word but the definition yes: it is the definition i use to describe my 4 year old and my 8 month old! LOL

 
At 6/20/2008 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had actually heard the word, but now way are you dumb as a rock.

And, you always make me smile.

 
At 6/20/2008 7:56 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

I haven't heard of the word but I've met many who fit the definition LOL!

take care,
Dawn

 
At 6/20/2008 8:52 AM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

LOL @ Heather's comment. And I have to say, even as a vocbulary nerd, I've never heard that word before.

 
At 6/20/2008 9:34 AM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I used to love playing "words on Wednesday" - I did it at my blog for a while a couple of years ago. I went through a spate of books that had lots of words I didn't know. I've rectified that situation now, and mostly stick to books that have words I know! LOL :)

Seriously, I have never heard that word before and would not have had a clue. No way are you dumb, that's not a common word. It's a good one though!

 
At 6/20/2008 2:10 PM, Blogger marianne said...

Phew! Thanks, ladies - y'all made me feel much better! Nice to know I'm not the only one - LOL! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home