"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Saturday, June 21

It's Pink Saturday!


Join in the fun of Pink Saturday! Our hostess, Beverly, at
How Sweet the Sound, has lots more pink links for your viewing pleasure.

This little pretty, a gift from my stepdaughter, Beth, is very symbolic and special to me. I love the tiny little perfect pink roses.

One night, many years ago, the kids and I sat up well into the wee hours, having one of our marathon discussions about nothing in particular and everything in general. At one point, we were into some pretty abstract ideas and I posed the question: "How do you know you're a people? How do you know you're not just a butterfly dreaming you're a people?" (not a clue where that came from - I can be deep, but not that profound! I think I read it somewhere.) Anyway, the ensuing discussion was a hoot and we had a grand time proving and disproving each other's theories... and bonding.

Evidently that discussion
stayed with my Beth because one time she gave me a lovely drawing she'd done of a dreaming butterfly. Then, somehow she managed to find this one perfect gift that combined not only my love of roses, but the symbolic butterfly too.

I keep it next to her photo in the living room as a sweet reminder of that special butterfly "thing" we share. The little flurries that float around inside when you turn it over are iridescent sparkles. They give it even more of a dreamy quality.

My little water globe is a treasure. :)

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 6/21/2008 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marianne, what a wonderful memory, and a perfect reminder. Beth must be such a treasure in your life.

I don't think I would mind dreaming that I am a butterfly flitting from rose to rose.

Thanks for joining in Pink Saturday again. I am having fun, too. After all, pink is only a color, it is a state of mind.

 
At 6/21/2008 7:43 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

I enjoyed the story you shared very much! What a treasure Beth and her gift must be to you!

take care,
Dawn

 
At 6/21/2008 11:56 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

What a sweet story!...Enjoy "Pink Saturday"!...heidi :)

 
At 6/21/2008 12:56 PM, Blogger mommyholly said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty!!! And what a nice story:) xo!

 
At 6/21/2008 2:00 PM, Blogger Vanessa Greenway said...

So sweet!!! Have a great weekend! Hugs, Vanessa

 
At 6/21/2008 2:32 PM, Blogger Mo..."Mo's Cottage" said...

What a great story...and sweet memory....and I love your globe...
Hugs,
Mo :-)

 
At 6/21/2008 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a special 'pink' piece!!

Melissa

 
At 6/21/2008 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that is such a lovely photo and I love the idea that you stay up late having interminable chats - how lovely!

 
At 6/21/2008 5:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very pretty...I enjoyed your post!

 
At 6/21/2008 6:03 PM, Blogger Gabriela said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

Love your pinks!

~ Gabriela ~

 
At 6/21/2008 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that story. How do you know you're not a butterfly? :)

 
At 6/21/2008 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful piece and a wonderful story to go with it. Doesn't get much better.
Judy

 
At 6/23/2008 9:57 PM, Blogger Shirl said...

Hello, I'm still making my rounds for Pink Sat. What a sweet story and a beautiful snow globe!
BLessings, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

 

Post a Comment

<< Home