"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Sunday, December 14

(Mis)adventures in the kitchen

*sigh* So I'm all gung-ho to try a new recipe, a Holiday Eggnog Bread that I found over on Mommy's Kitchen blog.

I gather all the ingredients, get the oven going, grease my pan, and go to it. Ummmm, smells good even before it gets in the oven! Pour the batter in the pan, pop it in the oven, and start to clean up the mess. Oh, s%!$#t!!! I forgot to add the pudding! So I quick pull the thing back out of the oven, dump it back in the bowl, add the pudding, wash and regrease the pan, and put it all back in the oven. Whew! Averted a major screw-up there! Or so I thought...

After 45 minutes, I check to see how it's doing. Hmmm, getting a little dark around the edges, but waaaay...uhmmm moist... in the middle. Moist, as in thick soup! Okay, so I leave it in for about five more minutes. Still soupy. Leave it in for another few minutes. Still soupy. And, I might add, getting browner by the minute. Several gloppy toothpick tests and about 20 minutes later, I give up, turn the oven off, and leave it sit to do whatever the hell it's going to do. This thing is nowhere near "golden" -- not burnt yet, but definitely beyond golden.

After sitting for a few in the turned-off oven, it finally tests clean and at the moment is cooling its little brown heels while I decide whether I'm going to add the glaze or just chalk it all up to a bad experience and finish watching the football game.

Maybe those couple of minutes in the oven before I added the pudding really did make a difference? Or maybe it's the dark pans? But Tina baked hers in dark pans.
I dunno. I'm sure it's a perfectly delicious recipe and whoever decides to try it? . . .

"You're a better (wo)man than I am, Gunga Din!!"

-----

P. S. it actually tasted a whole lot better than it looked!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12/14/2008 7:19 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

O.k. Marianne, I'm going to give it a try, it looks really good! I'll let you know if I have any better luck! The proof is in the "pudding". :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home