"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Tuesday, September 27

When autumn leaves start to fall...

I like Fall, but I don't lo-o-o-ve Fall. I like the red and gold leaves fluttering, the bright orange pumpkins that start to appear by doorways, and the warm orange glow of a Halloween jack-o-lantern. I like seeing smoke rolling out of chimneys and the smell of wood fires that begins to permeate the air. I also like hot, mulled cider and I love crawling in between soft, flannel sheets on a crisp, chilly night. And I really love that football starts. I like Fall and I love certain parts of Fall but overall, I don't get all that gooey about it like other people do.

I think it's actually a little melancholy. Everything starts dying. The flowers disappear. The trees get bare and it gets dark way too early. The chirpy birds fly south, I don't know where the rabbits go, and we're left with four- and multi-legged critters wanting to set up housekeeping in our garage... where it's warmer than it is outside and they have a better chance of finding a tasty little morsel here and there. We have to turn the heat on, which dries everything out, including my skin, and I have to be careful not to electrocute the cats every time I pet them due to the static electricity.

Don't get me wrong, I love living where the seasons change. And I love all the earthy colors, odors and tastes of Fall. I dunno though, I just can't get all worked up about a field full of dead, dried-up, icky brown cornstalks staring back at me when I look out my patio door. Nope, just doesn't click my glory switch. Not today anyway.

3 Comments:

At 9/27/2005 5:31 PM, Blogger Jess said...

I agree, fall is pretty, and pretty much stops there. I'm with ya on this one.

 
At 9/27/2005 8:43 PM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

i miss Autumn. i am most definitely one of those gushy Autumn lovers LOL! i love when you can be outside in a sweater & jwans & it's comfortable but the crisp air make your cheeks all rosy. i find it invigorating. for a girl who loves living in FL, i still miss the 4 seasons & the inherent beauty in the way Mother Nature decorates herself differently in each of them. down here all she does is get pissy at us for 6 months out of the year. the other 6 months we're either sweating or freezing (yes it does get cold down here but it's not the same feeling as up north lol)...except for the month of March when t eh weather is heavenly & everything smells like orange blossoms...

 
At 9/27/2005 8:44 PM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

man i really need to proofread BEFORE i post my comments lol...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home