"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Wednesday, June 25

How embarrassing...

Lindsey Oliver, 17, is one of the pregnant teens in the midst of the pregnancy pact hulabaloo at Gloucester High School in Massachusetts. She did an interview on Good Morning America yesterday, and in response to a question about what they do with contraception in the high school, she had this to say:

"they [Officials] say they want to make a difference but won't do anything to help [students],"

"they won't put any kind of contraceptives in the nurse's office or anything"

"you know, no kid wants to go into the store to buy them or like ask their mom to help them with birth control, like, its embarrassing..."


Wait. Wait. Am I missing something here? It's embarrassing to buy birth control or ask your MOTHER to help? It's embarrassing to exercise some modicum of personal responsibility, but there's none of this overwhelming self-consciousness when it comes to taking off your clothes, performing the sex act, and getting pregnant???


Are you serious? Oh.my.dear.God - give me a freakin' break!! That's embarrassing, little girl. :-(

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6/25/2008 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so with you on this one.

Times have changed.

 
At 7/02/2008 10:16 AM, Blogger Covered In Crafts said...

Times have changed. We used to ship off unwed mothers so no one around knew that our teenage daughter was pregnant. Now we glorify them on tv and movies.

I think it is hard for teens to talkt o their parents but I should think it's much harder to be pregnant and raise a child.

I'm so with you on this one. Teens should talk to their parents and parents should talk to the teens too...... It's so sad. And they want to take sex ed out of schools. I say we need more education...

 
At 7/02/2008 1:52 PM, Blogger Sarah Coggins said...

I missed that interview. Wow. I'm in agreement with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home