"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Friday, September 5

Bummer :(

Well, poo! As some of you may know, I'm a tennis fan and rarely miss the Grand Slam events on TV, regardless of who's broadcasting it. I always knew where to go for the US Open, though, and never had to channel hop around to watch. The USA network has carried it for the last 25 years.

This year's Open, however, is USA's last telecast of the event. Apparently they are giving up their sports programming (with the pitiful exception of some kind of World Wrestling Raw nonsense and the Westminster Dog Show) in favor of more original series production.

What a disappointment!! Their coverage was excellent -- major matches were shown live, in their entirety, without the annoying editing and tape delays that other networks resort to to fill time slots.
They gave us hours and hours of pure tennis enjoyment.

In the future we'll get to watch it on ESPN or the Tennis Channel (which my cable company doesn't even carry) and have to endure their butchered version of what they want us to see.
Weekend coverage of championship matches will still be carried by CBS Sports, but again, most likely edited and/or delayed for prime time viewing.

I'm really gonna miss USA coverage... a lot.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 9/05/2008 1:26 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I was surprised and saddened by this also, Marianne. I love tennis and have watched US Open coverage on the USA network for most of those 25 years. I love that McEnroe has flourished there and is really a good commentator on the sport he loves so much. He was doing his goodbyes at the end of the Roddick match last night and it was pretty sad. I agree, it won't be the same on ESPN or Tennis (which we don't get either, I think).

:(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home