"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Thursday, February 19

To bean or not to bean...

You know what? I don't like frozen green beans. Actually, I can't stand frozen green beans! They're tough, taste like dirty grass, and are just plain nasty. I like fresh green beans. I like canned green beans. I like most veggies, frozen or otherwise. But, I don't like frozen green beans... and I'm not ever going to eat them again!

What prompted this little outburst? Well, I have several recipes that call for mixed veggies, most
recently one I got from my sister for vegetable noodle soup (very tasty, big "E.") Now, most bags of frozen mixed veggies usually contain, at the minimum, green beans, peas, carrots, and corn. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll find some that include lima beans. I'm one of those people who like limas. I prefer them canned, but tolerate them frozen. A lot better than I tolerate those other frozen green things. Anyway, whenever I do use frozen mixed veggies, I always eat the stupid green beans first just to get them out of my way so I can enjoy the rest of whatever I'm eating. Silly, huh?

So, I have decided. Frozen veggies are on special this week and I'm getting me a bunch of bags of peas, carrots, corn AND limas and
I'm going to mix and freeze my own veggies... without any nasty green beans!

And that's the truth!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2/19/2009 7:28 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

My sentiments exactly Marianne! Frozen green beans are something I could never eat, the texture grosses me right out. I'll eat them fresh from the garden, cooked or raw,(which reminds me of a story from when I was a kid, but totally off the subject of the taste of frozen green beans) or cold from the can. But a frozen green bean will also never pass my lips again!
Brilliant idea of mixing your own! I love lima beans, so that would be a great idea!

 
At 2/20/2009 2:33 PM, Blogger Desert Songbird said...

Actually, I like the frozen green beans I buy at Trader Joe's. They're the thinner ones like haricot verts, and they really snap when you just quick stir fry them.

 
At 2/20/2009 4:04 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I agree! I much prefer canned green beans to frozen ones. I only buy whole frozen ones, for a special stir fried type green bean dish I have done before. It's sort of a chinese-like sesame green bean thing. Otherwise, it's Green Giant kitchen sliced green beans for me :)

Have a great day Marianne!

 
At 2/22/2009 4:20 PM, Blogger sue @ postcards from paradise falls said...

Hmmm... I *think* I like frozen green beans. LOL. I usually buyed canned veggies. It's just easier for me.

BUT... are you willing to share that recipe? I'm always looking for new soup recipes!

 
At 2/22/2009 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea you had such an aversion to frozen green beans....you learn something new every day!!!

Feel free to share recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home