"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Tuesday, August 2

Because they can...

*sigh*... Why am I not surprised? Of course they're not - why would today be any different than any other time we've had to deal with contractors?? Contractors who you can't get ahold of to begin with. Contractors who never call you back. Contractors who tell you one thing and do another. Contractors who NEVER come when they say they will and then have the temerity to make their personnel, equipment, scheduling, blah, blah, blah problem - MY problem! Aaaaarrrgghhhh!! I hate contractors. I really do. Not the people, of course... well, maybe some of them... but the whole bloody industry. We're not talking about some fly-by-night company that takes your money and runs, oh no! We're talking about a reputable business, recommended and referenced. How do these people stay in business yet get away with such piss-poor business practices?


Because the rest of us let them get away with it, that's how. Because the rest of us are inept and don't know how to do this stuff ourselves so we 'hire' someone else to do it for us. And then we never hold them accountable when they don't do what we hired them to do. Because by the time they finally get around to doing whatever it is, they've worn us down to the point that we'll accept almost anything just to get the stupid job done, get these people out of our house, and not have to deal with them anymore.


The rest of us gotta stop this stuff. Everyone is busy. Everyone has to deal with illness and machinery failure and yada, yada, yada. Why aren't contractors expected to? Surely, something as basic as having sufficient employees so one can fill in if another calls in sick doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, does it? Am I the only person on the planet who believes in Plan B? Am I the only person who thinks once you've made a committment, especially when you've been given lotsa bucks for said committment, you do whatever it takes to keep it?? Seems that way sometimes.

So, anyhoo, as you may have surmised, no AC today. No AC until Thursday, and yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll believe that when it's humming in my basement! Thankfully, the existing one is still going and hasn't frozen up again. The day that Lew took off for this project is now his loss, and he's out cutting grass instead... probably working off some of his frustration. Me? I'm still simmering and think I'll get on the treadmill and walk off some of mine... my Plan B, lol. Why do these people pull this crap?

Because they can...

3 Comments:

At 8/02/2005 1:25 PM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

i would have felt your pain if you'd had no a/c. that was my personal choice of fun actibity for last night. *coughcoughsarcasmcough* i hope that they come through for you. makes you wish you could threaten to take your business elsewhere but then you'd really just end up with the same problem, only back at square one again. they really have us over a barrel huh?

 
At 8/03/2005 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend with a stepdad who is a contractor like this, and he's not very smart. Have no fear, they'll eventually end up without jobs.

Anyway, enjoy the premise of your blog, though I am a completely different blogger (male teen in the west) and advise you to visit my webpage at hobesh.com.

I'll add you to me links.

 
At 8/05/2005 12:29 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Oh, Marianne, I wish I could say I feel your pain. It sounds like you are having an awful time and I gather the weather isn't very cool and comfortable where you are. We watched the Dodgers play the Nationals tonight (awful outcome for us) and it looked darn hot in your neck of the woods. My son said that the announcer said it was 96 degrees at the game.

I hope your contractor pulls through soon - I would hate to read about the nice lady in Maryland who beat up her contractor because he didn't show up when he said he would.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home