"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Monday, August 15

It's Summertime...

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate...

I used to date a guy who recited Shakespeare to me. Snuggled in his arms in the back seat of a friend's car as we cruised around town on a balmy summer day, I thought it was romantic as hell. Shakespeare? I mean, c'mon, who was better than me? (ah, the allure of a "brand" name...)

I look back on it now and think, you've got to be kidding me! Who in their right mind wants to be compared to this misery? Temperate my butt - it's brutally hot here in my corner of the world and I could care about temperate... I'm wanting some chill! Or at least a breeze somewhere.

Nothing is moving out there, not even the tassels on the field corn. I haven't seen a bird in awhile - they've all probably flown north for the summer. Our sprinkler system just isn't enough sometimes... unless we can somehow tap into the Potomac River... and I can almost hear the grass frying and the leaves gasping for moisture. Blue sky? Not here, just a white-hot haziness that you know is blocking and suffocating any air that is out there.

Needless to say, I haven't poked my nose out the door in oh, about a week. It's been at least that long since we've had anything lower than the 90's - we almost topped 100 again last week. It's supposed to ease up later today or tomorrow and maybe even rain... maybe.

1 Comments:

At 8/15/2005 5:34 PM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

do NOT move to FL lol...it's the same weather here, just lasts longer. oh & sometimes there's a breeze--we call those "hurricanes" is these parts. ;-) hee hee...thank God for a sense of humor huh Marianne?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home