"I know for sure that everything in life happens to help us live."
Oprah Winfrey

Sunday, March 19

Huh??

Didja ever notice how dictionaries define words? Is it just me or do they sometimes defy logic?? On my sidebar, you'll notice there's a "Word of the Day" gizzy. Today's word is "recrimination", and the definition starts out with "the act of recriminating..."

Now, I don't know about you, but it seems to me that if I'm looking up the word recrimination, it would be kind of obvious that I'm doing so because (a) I don't know what it means, or (b) I don't know how to spell it (which I won't go into here cuz that's another on my list of illogical doings.) Isn't that why we use dictionaries? So wouldn't it logically follow that if I don't know what recrimination means, how the hell am I going to learn anything more with a definition that starts out with "the act of recriminating?"

Further seems to me that the dudes who write dictionaries oughta have a more extensive vocabulary!

The act of recriminating... gimme a break!

2 Comments:

At 3/20/2006 7:41 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I have thought this so many times myself. Do you remember being in school asked to define a word? If you answered that way there would be a big red X on it! Makes no sense!

take care,
Dawn

 
At 3/20/2006 9:31 PM, Blogger *krystyn* said...

Ha-that's funny...and very true. Whoever wrote that definition should be shot. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home